One word, one conversation, one moment can make a difference in the life of a child.
Harbor House is a Child Advocacy Center working with victims of sexual & severe physical abuse.
- We provide services for children who may have been the victim to abuse.
- We offer prevention programs to help stop abuse before it starts.
- We provide intervention where abuse may have occurred.
Harbor House is a member of the National Children’s Alliance and The Children’s Advocacy Center of Georgia
A child’s safety is an adult’s job. Working together we can prevent child abuse!
Harbor House Service Statistics
- Forensic Interviews conducted per year, on average: 200
- Approximately 90% of children referred for interviews/services are due to allegations of sexual abuse. The remainder are severe physical abuse, witness to child sexual or physical abuse, and witnesses to criminal activities.
- More than 7,200 children have been interviewed at Harbor House since it was established.
- Safety Awareness For Everyone (S.A.F.E) Program is presented by Shannon Bond and her (puppet) friend HermenaBelle. SAFE helps children develop necessary safety skills to prevent possible abuse and aids in supporting survivors of abuse by making them aware of available resources. It also addresses bullying and teaches other personal safety skills. From the start of the 2007-2008 school year through the finish of the 2019-2020 school year, Shannon has reached more than 18,500 elementary school children.
- Stewards of Children training is provided through Harbor House. It is a sexual abuse prevention training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. It is presented, upon request, to adults who work with children – churches, youth centers, school personnel, etc. It can be presented to any group, big or small, that is interested in the program.
- Harbor House currently provides family and child advocacy services to every client that we see. We also provide on-site trauma-focused therapy services for the children that we see, free of charge.
General Child Abuse Statistics: (local, state, and national)
- A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds.
- 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse. (2010 national study)
- An estimated 638,000 children are the confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect each year.
- An estimated 4 children die every day from child abuse and neglect; 70% are under the age of 3.
- 86% of children who are sexually abused are victimized by someone they know.
- Approximately 1 out of every 100 children in Georgia were somehow involved with a substantiated incident of child abuse in 2016.